Five Ways to Help Teens Think Beyond Themselves
It can be easy for teens to get so focused on their own lives and needs that they forget that there are other people in the world. It is important for teens to learn to think about others and not just their own selves.
1. Teach teens to think about others by getting them involved in volunteering. Help teens find a passion and then get them to give of themselves through volunteer work.
2. Teach teens to think of others by having them put themselves in the shoes of those around them. Talk about how it might feel to be someone else.
3. Help teens learn more about other cultures so that they can think about others and not just themselves.
4. Teach teens to think about others by leading by example. Think of others, yourself, to show them how to do that.
5. Teach teens to think about others by encouraging them when they do that on their own. Compliment them when they are kind.
If you are willing to encourage the teens in your life and to lead them, you can get those teens to think about others beyond themselves and to be concerned with the needs of others.